Monday, July 24, 2006

Book Report: The Prestige

I picked this book up just for the shear fact that it is being made into a movie by Christopher Nolan. I loved Batman Begins, and I thought that if Nolan could build upon a creation like Batman, he ought to be able to do that with this book.

It’s been a long time since I read a book that kept my attention the majority of the time. I admit there are some slow parts, but I trudged through them to find out the answers to all the questions posed by the author. Luckily it’s not too long before things start picking up. The last 50 pages could not be read without a break.

I’ll give a brief synopsis, simply because you won’t get this kind anywhere else.

Andrew Westley has always felt as if he had a twin brother, somehow separated from him at birth. His situation is peculiar however, in that he feels he can communicate with his twin brother by almost telepathic means. The messages are never in words, only impressions. One day Westley receives a book written by a man named Alfred Borden, an ancestor of his from a family line that put him up for adoption at the age of 3. At the time he receives this book, which detail the illusions of his great grandfather, he is on assignment to cover a story of apparent spectral apparitions in a convent outside of Derbyshire, England. There, with a book detailing the intricacies of magic written by a great grandfather, and an acquaintance he’s never met, he begins to open doors that lead him to answer the greatest question he’s ever had.

Rating: 9/10

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger bedelia said...

I have to rate it a 8/10. Simply because it is kind of confusing. And at the end I'm not really sure if all of my questions have really been answered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home