Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sink Plugs

Well, we've made it into our home and I'd say we are 75% unpacked and since no one unpacks everything because you suddenly realize how much junk you keep carrying around, I'd say we are basically done. I like it here, but there are a few bad things about our apartment:

1. We have no couch but I'm sure DI has some nice "clean" couches. And now I'd like to dispel a myth that I've believed--that places like DI clean the items they receive. Today as I looked at some jeans I heard a crinkle. Apparently, I'm greedy because I thought, "Hmmm, maybe, it's money." I checked and only found a Wal-mart receipt from 11-09-05. I replaced the receipt to the pants. Then my sister wondered over to me and as proceeded to dispel the myth for her I thought, "Maybe, I'll just check the other pockets for money." I made $7.00.
2. Since we live in a cinder block home, we are only allowed 4 holes in the wall per room. This limits my decorating skills and prevents the ability to hide the fact that we live in a cinder block home. However, we do have our lovely aerial picture of BYU circa 1976 hanging as our most prominent living room picture. Maybe it should be the proclamation to the family but hey, we're cougars and that's really where our loyalties lie...or is it lay.
3. We have no dishwasher. Unless you count Jordan and I don't because I'm anal and unless I wash something I think that it is contaminated and must be re-washed. However, we do have some lovely kitchen sinks that are quite deep and well, the only thing missing is sink stoppers which they don't provide...I asked. You'd think that was the least they could do since they don't even have a dishwasher.
4. There is no under sink storage in the bathroom which isn't really that bad except things like extra toilet paper, feminine hygiene products aka pads, tampons are either left out in the open or in a hall closet that provides no easy access in case of emergency.
5. We have no microwave. I didn't think this would be too bad. However just last night my sister was over and tried to make instant oatmeal for her son. Didn't happen. Well, it kind of did. She mixed the water and oats, hesitated and said, "You don't have a microwave."
I said, "We could cook it in a pan."
She said, "Well, he's never had it before he won't know the difference."
Then she proceeded to feed him some really liquidy instant oatmeal. And she was right; he didn't care. Now I've started to think about defrosting things and re-heating leftovers and I'm gonna call Melissa and take her up on her offer of a free microwave.

All in all, I like our little abode and I'm excited that Jonah finally has his own room. And despite all the weird things I'm excited to feel like a grown-up again, seperated from parents who feed you, hand you extra cash on you way out and despite your age will always be a kid to them. I'm excited for mountains and running and new jobs and new friends and new wards and playmates for jonah and my sister 5 mins away. Now I gotta go start a microwave-less dinner and feed jonah at the same time.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Christen said...

Happy Anniversary on Saturday! Hope you guys got to do something fun. Jordan- Dave was in your mission!? That's cool. He and Mike work together and Dave is also going to Dental school in the Fall... but he's going in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home