Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Scouting the Library

If the manager that works at the library ever reads this, I would probably lose my job. He's pretty anal, and nothing like my supervisor. To demonstate what I mean, last week I heard a story that the manager, D, goes outside and scrapes away at gum on the sidewalk. Have you ever seen anyone do that before?

I mentioned that what I'm writing here is potentially hazardous, really it's not. But here's how it goes.

I've seen from the basement to the 6th floor of the library, but I haven't seen the roof. It's the one thing that would really make me feel like I've seen it all, even if I haven't. So today, I decided to find my way to it.

Everyone on my crew has access to a book of floor maps for the HBLL. Around 8:00 when I finished my usual chores, I headed up to see the maps. After examining the book and figuring out what room I needed to find, I took the elevators up to the 6th floor and started walking around. I kept a brisk pace to keep myself from looking like I was trying to find the roof. (Nobody stops people who look like they know where they're going)

The stairwell to the roof is next to a staff elevator on the 6th floor. I used my maintenane key and opened the door. There was hardly any light in the room but I could see stairs. I started up the stairs, and as I went the light kept getting dimmer and dimmer, until the only light I could see was coming from the cracks around the door. I was literally feeling my way around. I tried both of the keys I had to see if they could open the door, but nothing worked. It was frustrating to hear the wind blowing over the top of the building, and not being able to out on it.

So tomorrow I'm bringing a hanger.

3 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger bedelia said...

credit cards work better.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jordy said...

The hanger didn't work.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Or scissors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home